Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Magic


By Amy

The other day, magic arrived in my mailbox.

It came in the form of a manilla envelope, Handle with Care etched across the front in machine-printed black ink, the return address, written in excessively neat print, was The North Pole and wonder of wonders, it was addressed to me.
When I opened the package, I discovered a Christmas card signed Santa -- in July -- and the UK edition of Therese Fowler's Souvenir. It's no surprise that someone knew I wanted to read this book, that a stranger somehow tracked down my address, or even that someone was able to get their hands on a book that's been published in England only (so far). What is remarkable is that someone did it. Even more boggling, that she sought no credit for having made such a Herculean effort to spread heapings of kindness into the world. Magic, the fairy godmother kind.
For those of you who regularly read this blog, you know how eager each of us is to read Souvenir, but it isn't being published in the U.S. until February 2008 -- as the lead title for Ballantine, mind you. Part of our eagerness is we all adore Therese, which is an odd concept considering none of us has met her, we've simply read each other's blogs and found in Therese a voice and spirit that inspires a sense of kinship. I was intensely curious to read her book, though, not only to learn more about her -- there is the old chestnut about a memoir being mostly fiction and a novel mostly memoir -- but like you, I love a good book. And I don't want to gloat, folks, but two hundred pages into it, boy, have I got my hands on a GOOD book! A review when I'm done. Now, getting back to the magic. After I opened the package, I immediately opened the cover and read the dedication, "This one is for Mom, whom I like to believe was reading over my shoulder." The timing was uncanny, I understood exactly.
Scanning a newspaper these days, it's hard to believe in much of anything anymore, that goodness even exists. So when it arrives, sent through the mail, borne of a connection originating over the Internet, made with a virtual stranger who knows things about me people I see everyday will never understand, it makes me believe again. Believe.
Thanks for the magic, Larramie.

15 comments:

olufunke grace bankole: said...

dear amy,

what beautiful testament of the love and goodness in this world. i look forward to hearing more about therese's memoir. thank you for sharing your good fortune.

--olufunke

Anonymous said...

Lucky you. And you won't be surprised to know that I have a promise for an advanced copy of the US edition.
Santa seems to be visiting all over.

olufunke grace bankole: said...

i meant therese's *novel*!

--olufunke

Lynne Griffin and Amy MacKinnon said...

Olufunke,I couldn't agree more. I really do believe there's more good than bad in this world. It's taken a long time for me to see it, but there it is.

Reality, isn't Santa a wonder? You won't be disappointed once you start Souvenir. No wonder it's the lead title!

Amy

Lisa said...

Amy, Santa also made a delivery to my house and it was waiting for me when I got back from my retreat. Talk about magic -- a retreat, Christmas in July AND Souvenir! I was up until 2 this morning trying to finish Ravelstein so I can jump in. I may have to read through lunch! Larramie is indeed a fairy godmother and Santa all wrapped into one. I still can't believe the incredible relationships that I've forged with people I've never met in person. It has been one magic moment after another.

Lynne Griffin and Amy MacKinnon said...

Lisa, I think you captured in this one small comment the glee I feel. Now how can we ever repay Godmother Larramie?

Larramie said...

You have more than rewarded me, Amy, with this amazing post. If it had been possible, more Souvenir(s) would have been purchased and brought back from the UK...but my sister's packing space was limited. So I chose the two individuals who wanted to read the book NOW as much as I did. And that was easy! ;o)

Somehow, as a child, I learned that almost anything was possible as long as you believed and it's held true throughout my life. Writers create magic, while I can only try to communicate and share the magic of reality. Yet, trust me, it is such fun!!!

Merry Christmas in July to everyone. HO HO HO

Lynne Griffin and Amy MacKinnon said...

Larramie, I also believe in creating our own realities, making the impossible possible. Magic, too, like your bouquet of daisies. Please thank your sister for me as well. What a pair you are!

Amy

Melissa Amateis said...

What a lovely post. I have found Therese to be a warm and kind woman very willing to help and offer advice. I can't wait to read her book. (and I am one of the lucky ones that she'll be sending one to via her contest!).

Lynne Griffin and Amy MacKinnon said...

Thank you, Melissa. Yes, Therese IS a lovely person who's given a lift up as she's seen her own fortunes rise. A truly generous soul. And Larrmie is equally kind, going to all the trouble of getting me a copy of Therese's novel. How to imagine such generosity of spirit?

Larramie said...

I've returned here to publicly thank my sister who is beyond the best, and to thank my elf, Patry Francis, who passed your address on to me, Amy. Although Patry only knew I had a surprise for you, she was SO excited to be a part of giving to "wonderful Amy." ;o)

Lynne Griffin and Amy MacKinnon said...

Larramie, maybe you could share your sister? I still mourn mine; I never had one. And Patry, I had no idea she could keep a secret so well. Truly you are the "wonderful ones."

Amy

Lynne Griffin and Amy MacKinnon said...

Amy,

I volunteer to be your sister--after all, at times it seems like we are twins separated at birth anyway!!

Lynne

Lynne Griffin and Amy MacKinnon said...

Aw, Lynne, that's so kind. But does this mean I can call you in the middle of the night when I need to chat and borrow your blue sweater?

Amy

Lynne Griffin and Amy MacKinnon said...

Amy,

You bet it does. I can't seem to find my blue sweater--did you take it without asking?

Lynne