Thursday, September 27, 2007

Making A Literary Life Friday: Flying

It has been an exciting week for the Writers' Group, with Lynne's news on her fiction and early reactions to Negotiation Generation quite favorable. Wahoo! Someone asked us how Lynne's success makes us all feel. The answer is: wonderful, and that is the honest truth.

We know how deeply Lynne has committed herself to the craft, done her homework, dotted the i's and crossed the t's and, let us tell you, turned around edits and changes in record time! We also believe in our own stories, so Lynne's success makes us all the more confident that the Group is on the right track in terms of how we work and what we are able to produce. There is nothing like productive honesty (spoken kindly) and focused critique (rather than criticism) to push us all to greater heights. Do we wish we were in her shoes right now? Of course! C'mon, how cool is everything that is happening!? Do we believe we will have our turns at playing Cinderella? Yes, yes and yes! Bring it on!

So, sappy as it sounds, we are all flying this week, and we revel in the fact that you all have come along for our rides and allow us to share in yours!

Lisa
To be honest, when I heard Lynne’s news, I thanked God I am an occupational therapist, as odd as that sounds, because I love it. I love working with children who have autism. THAT is something no one can take away from me. THAT makes me happy. Writing, well, that’s far from a sure thing.

When I met my agent, he told me not to quit my day job. Not a question of my talent, necessarily, but a warning that writing fiction isn’t a sure thing. Susan Cooper once said, “a writer’s timeline is not altogether linear.” I knew that going in.

So am I happy for Lynne? Truly happy? I am, truly. I am because she’s my friend. She’s shown me that a hundred times. She gave me Santa advice last week regarding my seven-year-old son’s questions. She recently offered to take another look at my manuscript, promising to drop everything to do so.

To be honest, if our group was not comprised of caring, loving people, I would likely feel jealous of someone’s success.

Honestly, Lynne, I’m thrilled for you!

Amy
Want the truth? I'm really happy for Lynne, truly. I feel as though we as a group are on the right track. The proof is in the pudding. Talking to her yesterday, she marveled at our ability to be so generous with our good will. "You know," she said, "it's like I'm eating the candy bar." "Yeah," I laughed, "with nougat. And nuts." For a moment, I thought, I want to grab her candy bar and take a great big bite, feel the caramel stick in my teeth, crunch the nuts, roll the chocolate over my tongue. God, it would taste good. But I realized this is hers, all hers to savor. Besides, I want my own -- with peanut butter. Congratulations, Lynne!

Hannah
Lynne's wonderful news has me all revved up. She takes on a difficult subject, and because it wraps around a difficult scenario, she wasn't sure how editors would respond. That an editor saw it for all it is so quickly is thrilling! For me, it has been a good week for writing as well as emailing busily among group members, so I am thinking my revision is going to go out to the Group within the next week or two. Hallelujah! (Okay, maybe be Halloween? But it's coming!) Keep on plugging, everyone!

Lynne
What a week! It's only just starting to sink in that my novel will be published. How have the members of The Writers' Group responded? With a generosity of spirit only found in the dearest of friends. Each one called or visited me within hours of my deal. They asked about every minute detail with an open heart.

And here is another truth. Amy, Hannah and Lisa will find their own way into the marketplace; it's only a matter of time. And when they do, I will cheer with all my might.

Thank you friends!

9 comments:

Gail said...

Lynne!!! I am so thrilled for you! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!! And I love how supportive all of you are for one another. Good karma in the air. Gail

Lynne Griffin and Amy MacKinnon said...

Hi Gail,

Thank you so much! Yes there are good vibes everywhere here at the Writers' Group. We are turning, we shall see into we will publish!

Lynne

olufunke grace bankole: said...

congratulations to you dear lynne!

“a writer’s timeline is not altogether linear.”

how true!

Larramie said...

What a loving post to end a lovely week!

Lisa said...

I am so happy for you Lynne and so happy for all of you because you all were part of it. You ladies are just a great example of a wonderful and supportive group of colleagues and friends :)

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

Wow - you guys are a great support center. It is so nice to see that and it is lovely to see that you look at the success of one as the success of the whole group. Congrats.

Trish Ryan said...

What amazing news, and how awesome that you guys have each other to celebrate with! I've often thought that the only thing worse than never having your dreams come true would be to realize a dream and have no one to enjoy it with. Thanks for the great example of how one success lifts everyone up!

jennifergg said...

Yes, truly. The success of one means the successes of others are soon to follow...and it's always sweeter to have someone (someones) to share it all with, highs and lows both.

Again, congratulations!

Lynne Griffin and Amy MacKinnon said...

Thank you all for commenting on my wonderful news. You're right, the support here--the genuine happiness shared--has been a true blessing. From the beginning of our journey, we all said, the success of one means the success of all. Working together we will all get there, it is just a matter of time. Thanks again for your kind words.

Lynne