Monday, February 25, 2008

Questions

Posted by Lisa Marnell

Recently here, at the Writer’s Group Blog, we added something new: The Author Spotlight. As a YA writer, the authors I’m most interested in talking to are, you guessed it, those talented adults who magically transcend to the world of the teenager. Remember that time of your life? I know, you’re lucky you survived.

Before I post my first interview, I thought I’d share my dream list of writers I’d like to speak to. I’ve listed some of them below and stated the one question that, to me, is the most fascinating, 0r baffling, or inspiring one that each person could answer.


Sarah Dessen, author of Dreamland, Just Listen, Lockand Key, Keeping the Moon

What responsibility do YA authors have a when writing edgy fiction?

Lois Lowry, author of The Giver, Number the Stars, Messenger, Gathering Blue

How do you keep current with teenagers (and you do so well) when the world is constantly changing?

Stephenie Meyer, author of the Twilight books

How, Stephanie, did you write Twilight in three months? It’s inspirational, motivating, but how is it done?

David Almond, author of Heaven Eyes, Skellig, Kit’s Wilderness

You write such brilliant magical realism; it’s not fantasy, but it’s a world away from the everyday, how do you straddle that line and make the unbelievable, believable?

Jay Asher, author of Thirteen Reasons Why

What were your moral concerns in writing a novel about teen suicide?

And, I interviewed Jay already. He was so generous with his time, his guidance. The structure of his novel is brilliant; a teenage boy receives tapes in the mail, sent to him by Hannah, who committed suicide weeks earlier. The book plays out in the course of one night, when he listens to the 13 sides of the tapes and learns what caused her to make the choice she did.

Jay was a delight to speak with. I am excited to post that interview next week.

No comments: