Friday, February 23, 2007

Making a Literary Life Friday: Changes

Each of us is in the midst of revising our work. For some, editing is the most exhilarating part of the process. For others, the most terrifying. We'd like to hear how you approach revisions, how you decide when to take advice from your critique group/agent/editor and when you go with your gut. Also, take a gander at upcoming literary events in the Boston area, and let us know about events from your part of the world.

Lisa
She's on vacation, but has no doubt brought her laptop with her. We look forward to hearing from Lisa on Monday.

Amy
Thanks to all of you wonderful writers who took my frantic calls begging details about your revision process. Sometimes tilting one's perspective just a degree clarifies everything. I've decided to take Hannah's approach and regard revising as fun. We'll see. And thanks to Matt Stone for our new photo; Nigel Barker watch out.

Hannah
Tip for other writers needing author photos. Have your shoot done (a) by someone very good, of course, and (b) in concert with at least three friends. You will laugh, relax and even have fun, no matter how you feel about being captured on film. In addition to dabbling in bronzer, I read more of Gail Godwin's account of her sail to Europe, and yes, did edit.

Lynne
I received a testimonial for my book, Negotiation Generation, from Robert Brooks. Bob is the author of Raising Resilient Children. Along with his generous and kind words, he added in a surprise. He liked my book so much, he's included it in his next, Raising a Self-Disciplined Child, in the suggested reading list. Thank you, Bob. As for editing my novel, I'm taking the Hannah-thinks-it's-fun-to-edit approach, too. And indeed I had three fun-filled days this week.

Mark Your Calendars
Patry Francis will be hosting a workshop at Buttonwood Books' Grub Street South this Tuesday, February 27 at 7pm. And don't forget, Hallie Ephron will speak about character development on February 24, at 3 pm at the Milton Public Library. And PEN-New England presents an Evening with Dave Eggers, author of The Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius on February 26, at 6:30pm in Cambridge. He'll be discussing his latest novel, What is the What.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That PEN-New England reading looks great. Thanks for the tip

Anonymous said...

Y'all look wonderful! I'm going to paste my head in there somewhere... :-)

Lynne Griffin and Amy MacKinnon said...

Thank you, Kristy, we'd be just as tickled to have you join us. What you can't see is the pot of tea and chocolate truffle cake on the table beside us. Come join us sometime.

Amy

Ghost Girl (aka, Mary Ann) said...

Revisions! Ah! Amy, I'm in the same boat. I just blogged about my current problem...the denouement. How do you find the end?

Since I don't have a good answer to that question, yet, I am starting the revisions. David Lubar had some good advice about it. Take it scene by scene and ask a lot of questions: Does it move the action forward? Does it accomplish the task you wanted it to? Is the character true? Somewhere I have a list. If I find it, I'll post it on my blog.

Revision is something I have a lot of questions about as well, Amy. So, I have selected the workshop on revisions at the SCBWI-EPA Poconos Retreat in April. I hope I get my first choice!

Good luck, Ladies!

Lynne Griffin and Amy MacKinnon said...

Ghost Girl, I can't imagine how you can start a novel without knowing the end! Many writers work that way, but like driving, I need to know where I'm going, though I do get lost along the way. Good luck with your final pages; let us know what happens.

Amy

Lynne Griffin and Amy MacKinnon said...

Have a wonderful time at the SCBWI!