Friday, February 09, 2007

Making a Literary Life: Possibilities

This week felt as though the literary life is ignoring the frigid weather, and readying for a burst of spring growth. There are so many small signs that good things are coming in the next few weeks and months. Possibilities is a gorgeous word!

Lisa
As you may know, Lisa is at the SCBWI conference in NYC, and she's also meeting with her agent. Have fun, Lisa. Can't wait to hear the details when you return.

Amy
For the past couple of weeks, I've been having fun helping various authors arrange readings, get press coverage, and encouraging them to go after awards. I know many writers are uncomfortable marketing their work, but, really, it's more exciting than you realize. It's a rush dealing with booksellers (they love books!) and press (they're writers too!), coming up with fun hooks to get a book noticed. My advice is get a couple of writer friends together, a bottle of wine and good chocolates, and brainstorm your publicity campaign. C'mon, you're creative people, it's easier than you think.

Hannah
Editing is more of a rewriting; rather than being depressing, it's quite energizing. I am trying to do a chapter a day. I don't know if that sounds ambitious or pathetic? The nerdy me is polishing word choice as well as fixing threads, adding "tension," trying not to lose the humor. I have told my children that they are not to be on the computer after dinner, so rather than breaking my own rules, I have been re-reading Gail Godwin's The Making of a Writer.

Lynne
This week I received a testimonial for my book that brought me to tears. Jane Healy, author of Endangered Minds and Failure to Connect is a beautiful writer and an amazing advocate for children. I was deeply honored she agreed to read my book, and even more grateful for her enthusiastic response. Thank you, Jane! I also had the privilege of talking with freelance writer and soon to be book author Sharon Cindrich about book marketing. Watch for the June release of her book about raising tech savvy kids.

6 comments:

Michelle Zink said...

Your post made me think of one of my favorite quotes of all time, from Armistead Maupin's The Night Listener;

"There are moments, I think, when you actually feel your life changing, when you can all buthear the clumsy clank and bang of fate's machinery."

I've been in one of those "moments" for the past couple of months. It sounds like you are, too.

Enjoy it!

Lynne Griffin and Amy MacKinnon said...

Michelle, thanks so much for sharing that with us; it's absolutely beautiful, and hopefully, apropos.

Amy

Unknown said...

Just checking in on all of your amazing news! It's exciting to hear about all your activity and success!

Lisa--I hope you enjoy your visit to SCBI.

Lynne Griffin and Amy MacKinnon said...

Thanks for stopping by, Grace. For those of you in the Boston area, Grace is teaching a weekend writing workshop March 10-11 at Grub Street (check the link). She's amazing!

Anonymous said...

Amy I'll buy the wine if you'll come over to brainstorm with me.

www.granada-3d.com said...

I believe everybody ought to look at this.